In some situations, you want to move your WhatsApp messages from one mobile to another. Like when you bought a new mobile and want to move the messages from Old Mobile. Or you just swapped phones with someone and want to move your WhatsApp messages along? Here are the most reliable and efficient ways to achieve this. Well, there are many ways to migrate your WhatsApp data in-between device. But the methods discussed here are very well reliable. We tested quite a couple of methods to resort to these few. When next you’re faced in a situation to move your WhatsApp messages/chat/data from one device to another, just try these tested methods.
How to Transfer WhatsApp messages
There are lots of methods available to transfer your messages without losing. Here we discussed tested and efficient ways for your transfer. Read the whole steps before proceed. Or Else you will lose some data.
- Before Making Backup you should not Install Whatsapp on the new device.
- Never remove SIM Card from the Old device until we finish the process.
Method 1: Using Google Drive
Make sure WhatsApp messages are backed up and saved automatically on a synchronized Google drive account. Google Drive makes it easy for WhatsApp users to move their data across devices quickly and efficently. Simply connect a Google drive account with your WhatsApp before you can be able to use this method for data transfer. The benefit of using this method is because everything works automatically, and it is the easiest and simplest method.
To connect Google drive to your WhatsApp, follow the steps below;
- Firstly Launch WhatsApp on your phone.
- Go to the “settings” by clicking the dots on the top right corner.
- Then click on “Chats”
- Select “Chat Backup”
- Now, connect to Google drive
- After connecting click on the Backup button to back up all your chats to the cloud.
- You can also set up the automatic backup (manual, daily, weekly, and monthly)
- You can also choose if the automatic backup should run on cellular data or Wi-Fi.
- Now, Select Backup. It will backup your messages in Local first, and then, It will upload those files to Google Drive. If Mobile Data doesn’t work, connect to Wi-Fi. IF the process completed successfully, you would get the Notification in the Backup as Google Drive: Time Stamp which means the messages are uploaded successfully.
Moving your chats to another device via Google drive
- First, install and launch WhatsApp on the new device
- Follow the instructions in above screenshot to set up your phone number
- Accept to restore Chats and Settings from Google drive
- Click “Next,” and all your chats will appear on the new device
That’s it! Your charts will be restored to the new device and all your settings will be restored, as well as your media (if included in the backup). This backup data could be take up to 300MB or 1GB if you included media in the backup (depending) and it is massive.
Method 2: SD Card Backup and Restore
Another way to move your chats from one device to another is by using the SD card storage platform. As we all know, WhatsApp creates a folder once it is installed. In this folder, all data and files are saved. Also, your chats are automatically backed up every day by 2 am by WhatsApp. This backup process is automatic, and the backed up data is saved on your device’s external/internal storage. You can easily copy the WhatsApp database folder to your SD card, and move it to the new device. It is the best and most efficient method if you do not want to use the first method.
How to move WhatsApp data and chats using an SD card
Just confirm if the WhatsApp folder is saved on your device’s (the old phone) Internal Memory or External Memory (SD Card). If it is saved on your external memory, remove the SD card from the device and insert it to the new one. However, if it is saved on the internal memory, then you need to copy or move it to the SD card.
To find the WhatsApp folder, go to Files >>> WhatsApp. Your chats are saved in the database folder as msgstore.db.crypt12. (Note: the format may be different but it must be as a .db.crypt# file).
- Copy the WhatsApp folder to your SD card and remove the card from the old device.
- Install WhatsApp on a new device. Automatically, it will create a new folder on the new phone.
- Simply go to your file manager, access the WhatsApp folder and delete the database folder
- Now insert the SD card to the new device, tap on file manager, open the SD card, then copy the Database folder and paste inside the New WhatsApp Folder.
- Then launch WhatsApp on the new phone and set it up
- The final set up stage will inform you that WhatsApp detected a backup, click on “Restore,” to get back all your chats.
You have to be careful when using this method so that you won’t mistakenly lose all your data. Alternatively, you can try the process below.
Method 3: Using Share Apps
You can use this method without using any Data or SD Card. This method will be helpful If you have only internal storage and no SD Card Slot. There are many sharing apps available in the Playstore. Here I choose the Shareit app as an example. You can also use another one.
Create Local Backup
- Simply launch WhatsApp on your phone
- Go to the “settings” by clicking on dots on the top right corner
- Then click on “Chats”
- Select “Chat Backup.” Select Backup. It will create a Local Copy of your Whatsapp chats.
Share WhatsApp Folder
- You should install this Share app on both phones.
- Open it and select the file, Whatsapp file and then select Send.
- You will receive the folder. Open the Folder and Copy all the files to your new mobile Whatsapp folder.
- Remove SIM Card and Insert in the new mobile and verify it. It will ask for the Local backup select; It will automatically restore the messages.
As said earlier, there are different ways to move your WhatsApp chats. Even, there are paid software apps available that allow you to do that. But, these methods are free and useful. Lots of people have recorded success by trying either of these methods; hence, we believe they will work for you.
These methods work for both Android and iPhone devices. You can follow the steps discussed above to move WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone, iPhone to Android, iPhone to iPhone, or Android to Android. If I missed any simple method, comment below and your reviews after using these methods.